Guru

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Mon Oct 28 17:02:03 CST 1996

I have been avoiding getting into this debate for some time now, but I
couldn't resist this, to make a few points.

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Natha Bhaktyananda wrote:

> Ramakrishnan has written:

> Say there is a person who considers H.H abhinava Vidya tiirtha, the
> previous
> pontiff of Sringeri as his guru, say, since he was transformed by his
> books,
> lectures etc. Now he can't go around saying that he belongs to the
> "abhinava
> vidyaa tiirtha lineage".
> ------------------------------
>
>         Dear Ramakrishnan,
>
> I think that, in spite of your Indian name, you have a very Westernized
> concept of "guru"; traditionally, the guru is not one whom *you*
> consider as such, but one who *accepts* you as disciple and coaches you.

What you say is true, but isn't that what Ramakrishnan was also hinting
at? I may consider some one person to be my guru, but unless that person
accepts me as a disciple, I have no right to claim to be from his
"lineage".

Specifically, in the context of Indians who have family associations with
this or the other matha, they all consider themselves to be "sishyas" of
the mathadhipati in charge. But that does not give them the right to set
themselves up as teachers, claiming to derive authority from him.
Similarly, if it is correct that Ramana Maharishi did not formally
initiate a disciple, his followers have the right to say that they regard
Ramana as their guru, but talk of an associated lineage will raise
suspicions. Especially in the modern world, where the number of gurus
abound, and more than a few of these "gurus" are charlatans. I am not
saying that any specific follower of Ramana is so, but I am suggesting
that they should be aware that they are under public scrutiny, and must be
careful of what they say and do.

There have always been fierce disputes about succession of gurus in most
institutions. There have been very few institutions where the guru selects
his successor with great care. Maybe Ramana Maharishi wanted to avoid all
such complications and therefore did not designate a specific disciple as
a successor. Cases like the one which Ken mentions are not uncommon
nowadays. A successor is appointed in haste, and later on a dispute arises
between teacher and student, and the two fight their battles in public.
Something is definitely going wrong in such situations, but it is not
limited to those who consider Ramana Maharishi to be their guru. In other
words, there is nothing intrinsically problematic with Ramana Maharishi's
teaching that makes "false gurus" out of his followers. Such instances
abound elsewhere also, among advaitin gurus, visishtadvaitin gurus,
dvaitin gurus, yoga teachers, tantriks and others.

Regards,

S. Vidyasankar