ADVAITA-L Digest - 27 Oct 1996 to 28 Oct 1996

Natha Bhaktyananda natha at DK-ONLINE.DK
Tue Oct 29 11:53:26 CST 1996

Ken has written:

> While I agree with your main point, ( which was concisely stated by a
> popular false guru as "dead gurus can't kick your a** " ), I have to
> disagree with your statement that a living guru must accept you.
>
> We have evidence otherwise in the Mahabharata in the story of Ekalavya
> and his guru Dronacharya.
>
> And there was a person who later became a famous saint (possibly
> Kabir?) who surreptiously followed around a master whom he wanted to
> take as his guru, until the guru stubbed his toe and yelled "Ram ! "
> (instead of a curse word), at which point he considered that he had
> received mantra initiation from the guru and went off to practice
> "Ram".------------------------------

I also agree with your point, but those cases are so few that they may
be called the "exception that confirms the general rule". Moreover, they
are based upon a faith and conviction that are so rare that they cannot
be taken as a viable method. One in a century of mankind's history is
seldom enough for anybody not to fancy that *he/she* could be the next
self-enlightened master.

With blessings,

--
Natha Bhaktyananda <natha at dk-online.dk>