Guru-disciple-enlightenment topic

sadananda sada at ANVIL.NRL.NAVY.MIL
Wed Oct 30 07:27:58 CST 1996

                        StitahpraJNasya kaa bhaashaa?

Like Vidya, I was reading the postings some with amusement and some with
dismay for the deteriorating tone of the arguments on Gurus and criteria
for Gurus and Disciples and the lineage - and Ramana Maharshi's disciples.

I think Aikya had pointed out Bhagavan Krishna's own teaching from ChII -
the Stitah PraJNya Lakshana - who is realized?

prajahaati yaddaa kaaman sarvan Partha mano gataan |
aatmanyai vaatmanaa tushhTaH stitapraJNyastadOchyate||

The one who has withdrawn all his desires(for enjoyment) that arise in the
mind, and one who in the self by himself fully satisfied, he is called
stitapraJNya.

Here based on the second line, desires that are talked about are the
self-centered or ego-centered desires that  demands  - this, this  and
that, that - for ones fulfillment or happiness -  and Krishna justifies in
the second line why so - since he is fully happy with himself by himself.
Essentially he has discovered that he is full and complete. He is ananda
himself - hence he does not have to after ananda.

First note there is no question of siddhies, proofs, haloes, raising
something etc. in the statement.  They are neither necessary nor sufficient
for being stitapraJNya.

Now let us examine this statement more carefully.  Who will know that one
has with drawn all his desires from the mind, and one is reveling in one
self by oneself, when that one self that one is reveling, pervades the
entire universe!

Other than by one self no one else will know!

One is smoking - or eating fish or some one added masturbating to the list
- does that  disqualifies or qualifies! for one to be realized.

Application of Krishna's statement - if these actions are desire prompted
actions to indulge for getting happiness - obviously he has not realized.
He has not yet discovered that he himself is happiness, sans all these
actions. - conversely if one is not doing all these but doing all the
miracles does not qualify him to be a realized soul.

But if one is doing the actions but not necessarily for self satisfaction,
but dictated by the body's Praarabda - just eating,(including particular
type of food that body has got used to)  sleeping, drinking, urinating and
other physiological actions that the body (here I am including both gross
body  and subtle body - mind and intellect) is used to or capable of doing,
but the individual has realized that he is not a limited ego but the total
consciousness, then by Krishna statement he is a stittapraJNya.

Krishna says in B.G.
Prakrityavacha karmaani kriyamaanaani sarvashaH
yapasyati taddaatmaanam akartaaram sa pasyati||
( I am not sure I quoted the sloka correctly - my memory is fading)
All actions are done by the prakriti it self. One who see that he is a
non-doer (while the actions are being performed appropriately) he alone
sees (the truth) - he alone has realized.

Refer to Nisargadatta Maharaj's answer to a question  in I am that  -- who
is answering these questions that too logically - he says (in essence) the
mind receives the question and answers appropriately but he himself is not
involved.

Hence by actions alone one cannot judge one is realized or not realized -
since it is not the actions but whether " a notion I am the doer is
involved" or not.  Here also one has to separate vyaavaharika vs true
understanding.   A mahaatmaa for purpose of transaction may use I - to
indicate this body and mind etc. as Bhagavaan Ramana himself says
humorously to his disciples - when the robbers punched him too - "I also
received some puja" - with a pun on puja -obviously referring to the body
as I.

By the by no one can give as a boon realization to other - relazation is
knowledge and ignorent has to have a frame of mind to recieve even if
teacher can teach.  This I am making since someone pointed out that
Bhagavaan Ramana gave moksha to a cow.  The cow may be blessed to be in the
presence of bhagavan but as we understand what realization means it cannot
be given to someone.  Of course there is nothing wrong in having a faith or
belief - including that the cow was given realization - since beliefs and
faiths are subjective and no one can question about others beliefs and
faithes.

Hence bottom line no other - other than oneself - can tell that one is
realized or not!
That is why Bhagavaan Sankara says in Bhajagovindam -

yogaratOvaa bhOgaratOvaa sangaratOvaa sangavihiinaH|
yasyabrahmani ramate chittam nandati nandati nadatyeva||

one is sitting like a yogi or enjoying like a bhogi - in the company or
without company, whose mind is reveling in Brahman - (he is the realized
soul)

External activities are not judges for realization.

Obviously Krishna gave the indicators not to judge others - since that
cannot be done - but to judge oneself - since I alone know about my
understanding and misunderstanding. These are litmus tests to oneself.

The discussions that someone else has realized or not borders to ones
beliefs or faiths and nothing more than that.

According to advaita Vedaanta- another realized soul also cannot judge the
second one has realized or not - since if he has realized - he has also
realized that there is not second one!

All these statements are from the reference of a realized soul or teacher.

Now from the disciple reference.

In the Mundaka Upanishad - it is clearly stated that:

pariisha lokaaN karma chitaan brahmano
nirvedamaayanaascha krita kritena.|.......................................
tat viJNaanaartham sa gurumeevaabhi gachchhet
samit paaniH sotriyam brahma NishTam||

One, who has realized by examining, that by full filling desires by actions
one cannot achieve that permanent happiness, let him approach a teacher for
that knowledge - that teachers who is saastraJNya and who is fully
established himself in Brahman.

If I cannot judge others whether one is realized or not -how  am I to know
that my teacher is brahma nishTa -

There is where shradda comes into picture.  It is  only by the grace of God
(or indirectly ones own punya) that one is directed to an appropriate
teacher.  f - In fact, an appropriate teacher may come to one own life by
circumstances to teach  that highest philosophy if one is ready.  That is
the Lord's responsibility.

For Ramakrishna paramahamsa - I heard that Totapuri himself went to him to
teach him the advaita.

Hence in the very first sloka on avadhuuta giita - Bhagavaan dattatreya says ;

Eswaraanugrameva pumsam advaita vaasana|

only by the grace of God that individual acquires the desire for advaita.

In VivEkachuuDaamaNi - Bhagavaan Sankara says:

manushyatvam, mumushutvam and mahaapurusha samsrayam - daivaanugraha meva -

It is the only by the blessing of the gods that one acquires the human
life, the desire for liberation and the acquaintance of a grate soul (
realized soul)

If the student feels, that one is my teacher and he has realized and I am
getting benefit from his teaching - so be it - The student can get the
knowledge - it does not matter whether the teacher has truly realized or
not. Who are we to judge - even if we want.

Also, the student may not realize even if the teacher has realized.  We
cannot blame the teacher nor judge the teacher based on his disciples.  If
the disciples behave such a way beautifying the whole society, obviously
the teacher need to be congratulated since he was able to inspire such a
shraddaa in his disciples.

Bhagavaan Ramana maharshi's teaching is straight forward and simple - but
only to those who have acquired that advaita vaasana.  You go and teach
that to Hari Krishna disciples, they will through unimaginable abuses
against you and even at Bhagavaan too.

Obviously people who talk ill about great souls are only contributing their
own suffering.

Many names of people, particularly, Bhagavaan Ramana Maharshi disciples,
even Nisargadatta Maharaj  are thrown some with derogatory comments -

Sitting here we cannot pass on certificates one is realized or not.  If
their disciples are getting benefit form them with the shraddaa or faith
that they have realized - glory to those disciples and glory to the teacher
who could establish that faith in them so that they can pursue their
sadhana with unagitated mind.  Who are we to say they are not realized nor
they have realized.  You are not going to be their disciple any way to
worry about!

Another question came that Bhavaan Ramana himself did not declare about any
of his disciples are realized.  This statement is ridiculous - How can
Bhagavan say that some one has realized when there is no someone!

His disciples did not come to his level - is another comment - These
degrees and gradations in realization violates the fundamental
understanding of advaita. All one is saying he did not become as famous as
Bhagavaan Raman.  But remember - that is neither a criteria nor a
non-criteria.  - yadyat brahamani ramate chittam nandati nandati nadatyeva.

These individual did not come to us and declare that we have to follow them
since they have realized!  If their disciples feels - that is good - that
is what is required according to the mundakopanishad statement and they
will be benefited and not us who have some reservations about them.
Remember there are several who went to  even Bhagavaan Ramana and did not
think that he was realized and came back with empty hands.  No one has
declared that they are the true lineage of Ramana - Ramana himself would
not appoint any body - One can appoint someone for administration of a matt
or ashram some manager like a person - that does not mean he is realized
nor not-realized.

Bottom line all these discussions about other peoples gurus and disciples
caliber is in my opinion is meaningless.

Valid Question  is only- how much we have grown in our mind and how far
away we are - in terms of mental agitations etc. that we need to judge and
the sastras discussion about the Jivan mukta and stitapraJNaa is only to
help us to judge ourselves and grow in the process.

I am bad in typing and proof reading - my apologies for all errors.

Hari Om!
Sadananda