Journey of Soul

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Thu Apr 24 10:05:05 CDT 1997

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Giri wrote:

>         To lose the dehatma buddhi (I am the body/mind) is the toughest
> thing.

It (loosing the 'I am the body/mind' concept) is the toughest thing
because right from birth, the jeeva is given an upbringing where the
happiness is equated to the physical comforts of the body and the joy
of the mind. The jeeva was told to take care of the body, seek happiness
(happiness brought in by preyah of Katha u.; the pleasant rather than the
good). By the time the jeeva recognizes the shallowness of such
"happiness", this life form for the jeeva is over. I see, if we want to
have jeevanmuktas in our midst, the necessity of imprinting early on in
the jeeva the shallowness of the dehatma buddhi (I am the body/mind
concept).  Being part of the maaya-generated world [maaya kalpita
desa-kaala-kalanaa-vychitrachitriikR^tam- DakshiNamurti stotra of Shri
Shankara), the jeeva has to go through that. Of course, when the jeeva is
ready to recognize the shallowness of the 'I am the body/mind' concept,
it will recognize It.

> When so much emphasis in Vedanta is placed on liberation and
> freedom from rebirths, to say that you were never born (from an atman
> level) can not be understood by many people.

When do you have freedom from re-births ? That is when you recognize you
are immortal. That recognition will be made when you recognize you are
Brahman, i.e. when you see the whole maaya-kalpita world inside you. Then
only, you say you are never born and you are Brahman.

> AUM shaantiH

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Sarvaagamaanaa maachaarah prathamam parikalpathe !
                                          Sage Vyasa in Maha Bharatha

For all (incoming) knowledge, discipline is the most fundamental.