Janaka and Jnana (long)

Wed Apr 30 21:19:56 CDT 1997

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Giri wrote:

>         After writing such a long e-mail, I have to make a final
> *irrelevant* point. I have posted the next-to-last paragraph just three
> weeks back (Apr 11), and I notice now people saying that householder and
> sanyas are mutually exclusive.

This is hardly a new discussion.  Both sides have had their say on this
many times and no doubt will again.

> The same goes for my posts on the journey
> of the subtle body. No, I don't expect everyone to read my posts, maybe
> because it is confusing, but as one list member told me in a recent
> e-mail, many members seem to have already made up their mind on these
> issues.  And I, therefore, think it is better for me to refrain from
> posting on this list, and just be quiet and learn from others.

If you have the courage of your convictions what does it matter if people
disagree or  misunderstand you?  One of the more important functions of
this list in my opinion is to be able to test ones ideas against other
peoples and see if they hold up.  If you're good, mostly they will. If
perhaps they don't you admit your mistake and move on.  Participation is
voluntary so if you don't want to post anymore don't but imo you haven't
given a very good reason.  If you're getting bored maybe you should just
write a "Giri's answers to Frequently Asked Questions on Advaita Vedanta"
and just post that once a month.

>         In any case, all answers only operate and perpetuate more
> thoughts. Instead, it is better to go within and ask 'To whom these
> thoughts arise.

I've personally never cared much for this line of thought.  If someone has
questions it is right and proper for them to try and get them resolved.
Even Shankaracharya who we revere almost as a God isn't some infallible
pope.  People need to hear convincing arguments. You don't neccessarily
have to be the one to answer them but you shouldn't tell them they are
wrong to do so.  Such enquiry (Mimamsa in the truest sense of the word) is
holy and meritorious in of itself.  At best they lead to purification of
the mind and the removal of doubt which is the key to the self-knowledge
you describe.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas [jaldhar at braincells.com]   And the men .-_|\ who hold
Consolidated Braincells Inc.                          /     \