Saiva Siddhanta question

Mon Aug 18 00:41:07 CDT 1997

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Vidyasankar Sundaresan wrote:

> The Tamil Saiva Siddhanta seems to have many currents in it. One strong
> current is that of the pASupata school,

Is this the same as the Pashupata darshan mentioned by Madhavacharya and
in the Puranas?  It's founder was one Lakulish or Nakulish who is said to
be an avatar of Shiva Bhagavan in the Shiva Purana.  One thing I remember
reading about them was they were all sannyasis and they believed in
seperating from the world by causing people to despise and censure them.[1]
Anyway this darshan is supposedly extinct now[2] which is why I found your
comment of interest.

[1] The reason I remember is because one of the methods suggested for
doing this was to burp loudly in mandir!

[2] Though the Pashupata Sutras and commentary have been published I
think.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas [jaldhar at braincells.com]   And the men .-_|\ who hold
Consolidated Braincells Inc.                          /     \