Transliteration?

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Wed Dec 3 17:05:38 CST 1997

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Greg Goode wrote:

> I would like to write something in transliterated Sanskrit.  I have a
> handwritten copy with the diacritical marks.  As of yet I don't have a font
> that contains those marks.  So is there a key somewhere on how to render
> those words without the marks?  Like putting an extra a or adding an s, or
> putting some characters inupper case, etc.
>
> Wasn't there a FAQ sent out recently with the key at the end?  I'm afraid I
> deleted it....
>
> Thanks for any help the knowledgeable listmembers can send!

The best online resource for this is the INDOLOGY website in UK. See
information about fonts and software at the URL

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw/indnet-software.html

There are links from this page to Charles Wikner's Devanagari-TeX package,
and the Itranslator package developed by Swami Vishwarupananda, both of
whom are members of this list. Both make use of transliteration systems
without adding diacritical marks, to use as an input to obtain devanagari
output.

One good font with diacritical marks is John Smith's Indic font package
from Cambridge. There are fonts available for PCs, Macs, and also for
use with TeX. They are rather simple to install and use, and John Smith is
also quite helpful with queries.

Vidyasankar