Various vAda-s in advaita (was Re: A few questions)

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rbalasub at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Sun Feb 2 14:13:53 CST 1997

Kartik wrote:

> Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian <rbalasub at ECN.PURDUE.EDU> wrote:
>
> > The vAda-s given by gauDapAda are nothing other than dR^ishTi-sR^ishTi vAda.
>
> I beg to differ. GauDapaada also employs ajaativaada (doctrine of no birth,
> or the doctrine denying creation) in some instances. (Perhaps you know this,
> but your using the words "nothing other than" seems to imply that GauDapaada
> did not employ ajaativaada.)

[ ... ]

You are right. I should have made it clear. gauDapAda declares that the truth
is that there is no birth or ajAti. But DSV and SDV are both only theories of
creation. The point was whether DSV is acceptable or not. gauDpAda gives DSV
for those who cannot get beyond the notion of causality as the "best"
explanation, since it agrees with reasoning and shruti. Other wise there would
be no point in going through the analysis of the states and so on.

Both DSV and SDV agree that the final truth is only ajAti.

Ramakrishnan.
--
                  http://yake.ecn.purdue.edu/~rbalasub/