maaya

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Sun Jul 6 07:00:47 CDT 1997

What a delight in advaitic reading.  We find treasures. If I say this
to my friends at work or at home, they do not share in the feeling.
But, this List, being of the same mind, can certainly appreciate
and share in the delight.

In my recent reading, I came across a description of maaya which is
precise, to the point and so complete in conveying what it wants to
convey. This is from A.J. Alston "Samkara on the Absolute", published
by Shanti Sadan. It paraphrases VidyaaraNya Swami's viewpoint and I
quote Alston

maaya: From the standpoint of the ordinary man, it is a fact. From the
standpoint of reason (buddhi), it is inexplicable. From the standpoint
of the highest truth, it is tuccha (negligible: Is negligible the right
word here ?).

If there is any clearer more poetic description of maaya, I would like
to have the reference.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.