CHANDI HOMA

Chelluri Nageswar Rao Chelluri at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 6 19:54:13 CDT 1997

                                              srim
Namaste!

Yes that is Kali Suktam.  You can find it at the end of Saptasati.

Rahsyatrayam:

Pradhanika Rahasyam     .... deity    Sri Mahalakshmi

Vaikrutika Rahasyam ...................     Sri Maha Kali

Murty Rahasyam   .....................     Sri Saraswati

Rahsyatrayam is the essence of Saptasati.  If you can find the explanation of
Rahasyatrayam and understand, believe me there is nothing else there is to
know.

Shubhamastu                                          Nageswar
>From ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU Mon Jul  7 14:56:28 1997
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 14:56:28 -0400
To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: sadananda <sada at ANVIL.NRL.NAVY.MIL>
Subject: Re: Doubt misquote
Comments: To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>

>Hi,
>
>I mistakenly attributed the sentence, "there is no sin more terrible than
>doubt" to the Bhagavat Gita. Sorry, actually that was part of Jnaneshwar's
>running commentary to the Gita...

Do not worry!  Krishna says B.G. in Ch. 4 -in the end while gloryfying the
JNaana aspect

aJNaH ca ashraddadhaanaH ca
samshayaatmaa vinashyati,
na ayam lokaH asti na paraH
na sukham samshayaatmanaH||

For those who are ignorant, who do not have faith (loose translation of
shradda)  and who have doubts (all the time?), they get perished.  For
those who doubt neither they have this world nor the higher world. They
have no peace of mind.
(Sankara actually defines shradda as - shastrasya guru vaakyasya
satyabudhyavadhaaraNa - saa shradda - loosely - faith in the truth imparted
by the words of the scriptures and the preceptor)

Intellect always doubts, but the answer lies beyond the intellect.  Hence
faith becomes important.  Those who doubt all the time have no mental
commitment to sit down and contemplate.  Here "doubt" I interpret as a
reflection of a non-study mind  - because in the same chapter Krishna
advises a student to go and  serve the teacher and gain the knowledge by
asking questions - (obviously by clarifying one's doubt)
tadviddhi praNipaatena pariprashnena sevayaa
upadekshyanti te JNaanam JNaaninaH tatvadarshinaH||
know that truth by serving the teacher with humility and by asking
questions (repeatedly till ones is clear! just like Arjuna!).  That
knowledge will be taught by those who are knowledgeable and who are
established in the truth.

Hence one can doubt and question - but it is not questioning the teacher
but questioning one own understanding.
As the saying goes only doubt that is stupid is that which is not asked.

I have doubt in Physics in what the teacher taught. But I have a faith that
the text book and the teacher are right, even though I donot comprehend the
truth.  Only by asking the doubts, the learning can take place - the
teacher will know where the misunderstanding is in my understanding.

If I start doubting whether the teacher knows the truth or the scripture is
telling the truth - then I have a greater problem.  It is such a doubter
that Krishna chides in his slokas that there is no salvation for him in
this or in the higher.  Many a time conclusion without experimentation is
unscientific.

Hari Om!
Sadananda