Krishna's wisdom more secret than all secrets

Jonathan Bricklin brickmar at EARTHCOM.NET
Mon Jul 14 12:46:05 CDT 1997

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Allan Curry wrote:

> Would someone please give what you think is the best translation
> and interpretation of Bhagavad Gita 18:61  ?

Ishwara sits[1] in the hearts[2] of all beings Arjuna.
He moves[3] all beings like an implement[4] with maya.

[1] tishtati has the connotation of immovability

[2] hrdaya here can mean the generic "center" not neccessarily the actual
heart organ.

[3] literally revolves, waves about

[4] yantra literally means a machine or instrument.  The connotation is
some tool used to perform an action.

And lest anyone think this is denying free will, in the second half
of 18.63 Krishna Bhagwan says

Considering it[1] carefully, act according to your wishes.

[1] His teachings.

Lest anyone has trouble reconciling the first (beautifully rendered by
Jaldhar) quote with the second quote, try putting the "act" in quotes.  And
while you are at it, the "your".  This simple procedure does not work in
reverse.  There are no words in the first quote that can be put in
quotation marks.  But then why would there be.  There Krishna is speaking
from the viewpoint of absolute knowledge.  After this "wisdom more secret
than all secrets"  "has been declared" 18.63, we are back in the relative
world of maya with its illusion of choice.

Jonathan Bricklin
--
Jaldhar H. Vyas [jaldhar at braincells.com]   And the men .-_|\ who hold
Consolidated Braincells Inc.                          /     \