The Karmas and our destiny (karmaphalapradaa)

Anand Hudli Anand_Hudli_at_USININ31 at BMC.BOEHRINGER-MANNHEIM.COM
Tue Jul 15 17:07:37 CDT 1997

  This is regarding Gummuluru Murthy's message about Shankara's
  explanation of Karmaphalapradaa in the lalitaa trishatii.

   There is no equivalence between "destiny" and the word "adR^ishhTa" that
   Shankara is referring to in the explanation, as you have indicated in
   your message below.

  adR^ishhTa as used by miimaamsa includes the meaning of apuurva.
  adR^ishhTa literally means something that is unseen. miimaamsakas,
  specifically aniishvara miimaamsakas (those that do not recognize
  Ishvara or God), believe that once we perform an act or sacrifice,
  the result is given out to us by some unseen force, apuurva.
  Apart from the transcendental power that gives out the result of
  a sacrifice, adR^ishhTa also includes that which helps or is an
  accessory to the operation of apuurva. For example, if the procedure
  for a sacrifice dictates that water be sprinkled on rice, this
  sprinkling act makes the rice suitable for the sacrifice. The
  sprinkling act does not purify the rice, since the rice was
  purified to begin with. What makes the rice suitable after sprinkling
  the water is the adR^ishhTa.

  Coming back to destiny and free will, I do not see how adR^ishhTa, as
  used by the aniishvara miimaamsakas, can be identified with "destiny."
  More specifically, it is the sacrifice or an act by an agent which
  causes the adR^ishhTa to operate. And the decision of performing
  the sacrifice/act is entirely with agent. So the ad^ishhTa does
  not cause the agent to act in a certain way. It is the other way
  around.

  Jaimini in his miimaamsa suutras has dealt with righteous action
  which is called dharma, and unrighteous action, which is called
  adharma. Performance of righteous acts brings about results which
  are desirable (ishhTa) according to the Vedas. Performance of
  unrighteous acts brings about results which are undesirable (anishhTa)
  according to the Vedas. So the crux of the matter is to perform
  righteous action and avoid unrighteous action. Implicit in all
  this is the basic assumption that the doer (kartaa) has the ability
  to make a choice between righteous and unrighteous action. The
  exercise of this choice (free will) will determine whether you
  get desirable results or undesirable results. Thus miimaamsa is
   very intimately linked with action and the proper choice of
   action. Acceptance of destiny, on the other hand, implies that
  no matter what we do, the results will be predetermined and,
  therefore,  choice of action aimed at desirable or undesirable
  results  is irrelevant.

  Shankara's explanation of the word karmaphalapradaa makes the
  point that Ishvara (lalitaa, in this case) awards the results
  of karmas, not some insentient entity called adR^ishhTa as
  claimed by the aniishvara miimaamsakas. The explanation closely
  follows Shankara's commentary on the brahma suutra "phalamata
  upapatteH", meaning "it is appropriate that results of karma
  are awarded by this one (God)." Thus, the question that
  Shankara addresses here is: Are the fruits of action awarded
  by an insentient entity or are they awarded by God? He does
  not address the question: Are the results of actions due to
  destiny or due to God?

  The best answer to the destiny vs. free will question is,
  in my opinion, in the Gitaa.

  Anand