The Karmas and our destiny (karmaphalapradaa)

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Thu Jul 17 12:26:08 CDT 1997

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Anand Hudli wrote:

>   This is regarding Gummuluru Murthy's message about Shankara's
>   explanation of Karmaphalapradaa in the lalitaa trishatii.
>
>    There is no equivalence between "destiny" and the word "adR^ishhTa" that
>    Shankara is referring to in the explanation, as you have indicated in
>    your message below.
>
>   adR^ishhTa as used by miimaamsa includes the meaning of apuurva.
>   adR^ishhTa literally means something that is unseen.

1. I looked into the dictionaries (we do not have many in our Library)
for the sanskrit equivalent of destiny. Some are

destiny = devam, adr^shhTam

Another possibility is vidhi (from the root word vidhaata, the creator)
meaning judgement from God.

devechcha may not be correct, because deva, God does not have a desire.

2. I found out that adr^shhTam is *not* negation of dr^shhTam. Hence,
'one that is not seen' may not be a proper meaning of adr^shhTam.

'drashhTa' (not dr^shhTa) is that is seen.

Word 'adr^shhTam', a root word by itself, has as one of its meanings
'fate'.

Putting 1 and 2 together, it seems to me destiny and adr^shhTam probably
have the same meaning (taking into account they are from different
languages). In this background, Shri Shankara's interpretation of
Karmaphalapradaa is quite clear, and of course consistent with
sruti, smr^ti and brahma sutra.

>   Anand

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.