Levels of jnana?

Gregory Goode goode at DPW.COM
Sun Jul 20 09:52:24 CDT 1997

At 04:46 PM 7/18/97 -0800, Allan Curry wrote:
>Namaste,
>
>I suppose my biggest doubt was how could it be possible for jnana to occur
>and then seem to revert to ajnana?

[...]

>In case anyone else gets this doubt after "interludes" of non-dual
>awareness they might benefit by reading the Tripura Rahasya. In some
>of the later chapters it discusses "levels of jnana". It says, for instance,
>"The lowest level jnanis seem outwardly similar to the ignorant because
>they have not yet achieved sahaja samadhi, spontaneous samadhi.

Many teachers say that the momentary interludes of non-dual awareness are
pointers to the non-dual consciousness that we truly are.  Many also say that
unbroken non-dual awareness doesn't preclude day-to-day activities from
going on.  Ramana ate, slept, conversed, walked, answered to names he was
addressed by, etc.  Some teachers say that thoughts and feelings occur but
are not taken as reality.

I like to think that there is no thought that can occur that can falsify
the truth of who we really are.  We are THAT, whether we see things that
way or not.  Of course to say this and believe this is not the same as
residing in non-dual awareness!

So I agree with Allan that: