Unreality of the world: a further analogy

Allan Curry un824 at FREENET.VICTORIA.BC.CA
Tue Jun 17 14:30:26 CDT 1997

Gummuluru Murthy writes:

>.........................................But it is clear from what the
>great sages have repeatedly said over thousands of years and from my above
>understanding that the world and the feelings it causes in an individual
>are all illusory.
>
>I would be grateful for any comments, clarifications, or objections.

If illusory is equated with impermanence then I would find it difficult to
argue that the world is not illusory. If illusory refers to the fact that
our impression of the world is created by our minds, again I agree our
representation of the world is fabricated. To some, the "illusory nature of
the world" implies the non-existence of any extra-mental source of data
which go into the making of our representation of the world. This is a
much more difficult case to make and one that I am not convinced of.

I am a part of the world you say is illusory. Do you believe that I am not
*really* asking you this question and you are merely imagining that I do?
If an illusory being *can* question you then in what sense do you hold
them to be illusory?

with *real* regard,

-Allan Curry