Question

Mon Mar 3 23:31:33 CST 1997

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Giri wrote:

> Someone asked me how Hinduism views cloning ? How does karma affect the
> person who is cloned to several persons ? I thought members of this list
> were more knowledgable than me to answer this question.
>         Since sages and Gods like Krishna have manifested themselves
> physically
> at different places at the same time, maybe this issue has been addressed
> before.

Actually the idea of the inheritability of karma has been brought up
before in the mimamsa shastra.  One of the rites mentioned in the Vedas is
a sattra (an extended sacrificial session)  that lasts for 1,000 years.
It is pointed out that a person who began such a yagna would die long
before it's over and would not gain any benefit from it.  Thus the Vedic
texts that describe it would be practically useless.  One suggestion for
solving this problem is if the sattra is considered to be be a family
affair continued by the original sacrificers, son, grandson etc.  This
view is rejected because karma cannot be inherited "genetically".  (The
siddhanta is the text actually means 1,000 days not 1,000 years.)

It would seem to me the clone is in the position of a twin.  Twins are
considered to be be seperate jivas with their own destinies I don't think
a clone would be any different.  Particularly because according to what
I've read in the papers a possible human clone wouldn't be a "carbon
copy".  In fact it would probably be radically different in temperament
and abilities.

It's a very interesting question.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas [jaldhar at braincells.com]   And the men .-_|\ who hold
Consolidated Braincells Inc.                          /     \