Kala Dharma

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Mon May 5 08:49:02 CDT 1997

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Pawan Kumar wrote:

> Namaskaram,
>
>         Is there any rule that "Brahmins should follow kaladharma"
>         (I am referring out whether a Brahmin can forget some things
>          like Upanayanam) because for his earnnings and comforts
>          he may not get time to do it. Can anyone tell me more on
>         Kaladharma in this context.
>
> Dhaniyavadam
> Pavan Kumar

I think it depends on the attitude of the individual. If you think there
is kaaladharma, there is; if you think there is not, there is not.

In my view, there is no kaaladharma. Personally, I feel that dharma does
not change with time. Irrespective of time and place, there is the
individual that has to perform duties. What the duties are and why one
has to perform them are set by the individual him/herself. There is no
^^^^^^
one else setting the rules. It is you who are setting the rules for
yourself.

Living with oneSELF and answering to the SELF is the only answer one has
to give. YourSELF is the highest judge. That SELF is with you all the
time. You cannot run away from it. My father advised me when I left India:
"You follow your conscience all the time and answer to your conscience".
I think that is the best advice anyone can give.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Sarvaagamaanaa maachaarah prathamam parikalpathe !
                                          Sage Vyasa in Maha Bharatha

For all (incoming) knowledge, discipline is the most fundamental.