Nath Sampradaya?

Mon May 19 21:31:46 CDT 1997

On Sun, 18 May 1997, Allan Curry wrote:

> Lastly, a question about Navanath Sampradaya -- Nisargadatta is said to
> have been a lineage holder in this tradition. Can anyone tell me if this
> lineage is a school of Tantrism? Is it considered to be pure Advaita
> Vedanta?

I don't know if this Sampradaya actually exists in reality.  It's founder
the first of the 9 Naths was Macchendranath (Matsyendranath) was a fish in
a lake on Mt. Kailasa who overheard Shiva Bhagavan give the supreme
teachings to Mataji.  Another famous figure in folk legend is Gorakhnath
who is reputed to have performed many miracles.  But there is no evidence
they actually existed and they have not left any works as far as I know.
The suffix Nath for the initiation name of Tantric adepts is common to
many traditions including Shrividya Sampradaya.  Shrividya considers
Shankaracharya amongst its founders (He is also the author of Tantric
works such as Saundarya Lahiri) and many great Advaitins have belonged to
it.  Other schools of Tantra who may also use the title Nath are Nastik
and should be avoided.

-- Jaldhar