Katha upanishhad: verse II.3.9 & 12

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Tue May 20 07:30:32 CDT 1997

I like to bring forward two other points in our continuing discussion of
the capability of the manas (vis-a-vis Atman revelation discussion of the
Katha u.).

1. It is obvious that manas through the sense organs cannot comprehend the
Atman [or Atman would not be revealed through the sense organs]. Various
upanishhads say that emphatically. The manas should be purified and
internally directed for the revelation of the Atman. But, in that case,
there are no thoughts anymore. Isn't the mind dead at that stage ? So,
it is not the manas that is visualizing the Atman, but some other faculty.
Is it the very weak (at that stage) ego concept, in the form of buddhi,
that is comprehending the Atman ? [I am using the word "comprehending" in
the above sentences for lack of a better word].

2. On the other hand, Shri Shankara says in Viveka ChudamaNi (verse 335)

   bahye niruddhe manasah prasannataa
   manaH prasaade paramaatmadarshanam.h

Is paramaatma darshanam presented to the manas under those conditions
(baahye niruddhe..) ?

I hope I am not belabouring this point, but I like to get a clearer
concept of it.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Sarvaagamaanaa maachaarah prathamam parikalpathe !
                                          Sage Vyasa in Maha Bharatha

For all (incoming) knowledge, discipline is the most fundamental.