Gaudapada's Karika

Allan Curry un824 at FREENET.VICTORIA.BC.CA
Sat May 24 23:09:33 CDT 1997

Namaste

Ramakrishnan says:

>3. perception and change is common to both states and the apparent world is
>hence _not more real than the dream world_.
>
>It is not held as an axiom that reality should be unchanging and unmanifest,
>rather it is found out along the way that things which change are unreal.

I can see that differences between waking state and dream state may be
difficult to define, but I'm not sure that *proves* that all qualities of
one apply equally to the other. If there were not at least some difference
between the two states how could there be universal agreement that there
*are* two states called waking and dreaming. Why does the world not
universally agree that there is only deep sleep state and *the other one*?

I can see that "it is found out along the way" that things change and/or
disappear but I'm not sure that anyone has conclusively *proven* that
things are/were unreal. If there were not some reality to the world,
how could any science be possible? Why do the same laws of physics seem to
apply equally well in your waking world and in mine?  This is not the case
with our respective dream worlds. Is that a "meaningful difference" between
waking state and dream state?

I really hope you *can* prove to me that the physical world is unreal. I'm
on your side here... I *want* to be convinced of it!  :-)  I already know
that the physical world changes and that it is perceived through the agency
of the mind, but I don't see why that makes it unreal just because dreams
also change and are perceived through the agency of the mind.

Sincerely,

Allan Curry