The Real World

Cameron Reilly cjreilly at OZEMAIL.COM.AU
Sun May 25 20:38:26 CDT 1997

>From my experience:

To a jnani, the world both exists and does not exist, simultaneously.

As Allan Curry correctly stated, the phenomenal manifestation of the world
'seems' to exist. It is appearance only.

The jnani sees the appearance as just that - appearance. He knows that the
underlying reality of the appearance is his own Self - the noumenon, the
Brahman.

Therefore, what is considered 'real'? Is the appearance any more or any
less real than the underlying substance?

Both can be considered real - as in the snake-in-the-rope analogy, the
snake is real to those who do not understand the underlying truth of the
rope.

When the man who knows the rope walks into the room the second time, and
out the corner of his eye he sees the appearance of the snake, the
appearance is still there but he knows without doubt that the 'snake' is,
in fact, rope.

Regards,

Cameron Reilly