Which substratum? (was: Gaudapada's Karika)

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rbalasub at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Tue May 27 14:15:27 CDT 1997

Allan Curry wrote:

>I agree that human perceptions of the physical world may be "false" in that
>they are composed by the brain/mind and projected in a space/time that is
>equally created by the brain/mind. I also agree that something cannot arise
>out of nothing, but why can't it be the case that perceptions AND
>consciousness (both dual and non-dual consciousness) are ALL arising out of
>energy/matter which is NOT conscious?  This contention seems to be
>*somewhat* supported by modern science (in my uneducated opinion), but
>where, I wonder is the *proof* that consciousness is ontologically prior to
>matter/energy instead of vice versa?

The answer is rather simple. That there is matter is known only through the
senses and perception. What requires no perception, sensing or pramANa is the
fact that "I exist". Thus the substratum definitely has consciousness in it, at
least in part.

It cannot be matter _and_ consciousness since the absence of "real" matter in
dream and deep sleep do not negate the fact that "I exist". Thus consciousness
is ontologically prior to matter. Whether matter has an existence apart from
consciousness is something to be investigated. That's what is done in the GK
and the answer is "No".

Ramakrishnan.