FWD: Athi Rudra maha Yagnam

Ravi Mayavaram msr at REDDY20.TAMU.EDU
Tue Sep 2 08:51:04 CDT 1997

Forwarded message
From: Savithri Devaraj <sdevaraj at csc.com>
To: Advaita-L at tamu.edu
Subject: Athi Rudra maha Yagnam

Greetings,

I was blessed with the opportunity to witness the 10th and the 11th day
proceedings of the Athi Rudra Maha Yagnam at the Sringeri Sadhana center
in Stroudsburg, Pa.

The Yajna-shala is located adjacent to the Sringeri Sadhana Center with
a temple for MahaGanapathy, Sri Sharada and Sri Shankaracharya.
Sri Shashidhar has already described the Yajna-shala and the Rudra
Homams very well.  It really was an electrifying atmosphere.  We had the
opportunity to recite the Rudra and Chamakam with hundreds or ritwiks.
It certainly felt like we were back in the Vedic ages with so many
saffron-clad ritwiks and priests.

On Sunday evening, we (108 ladies) performed the Sri Lalitha Sahasranama
Kumkumarchana.  The arrangements were very elaborate. There were 54 big
oil lamps and 2 ladies performed the archana to each of the lamps.  Sri
Sringeri Jagadguru's representative led the archana, with all of us
repeating after him. It was a wonderful experience. All of us were
presented with a prasadam (a saree, kumkum and sweets) from him.

Sri Dayananda Saraswathi of Arsha Vidya Gurukulam, Saylorsburg and Sri
Narayananda Swamiji of Nelamau Math, Karnataka were present for the
Poornahuthi. After the final Rudra Homams, the Siva Panchakshari homam
on the final day,  a message from Sri Bharathi Teertha MahaSwamiji, the
present pontiff of the Srigeri peetha, that was video-recorded for the
purpose, was presented on a dozen or so TVs in the Yajna-shala.  He
spoke of the significance of the Yagnam and blessed one and all there.

There were all kinds of arrangements.  The transportation facilities
were excellent.  The Yagnam parking was about 4-5 miles away from the
temple.  There were buses plying every 15 minutes or so. Food was
continuosly available in the temple kitchen - coffee, breakfast, lunch
and dinner.  They had provided several rooms in the adjacent hotels and
motels for very nominal charges.

On the whole, the Athi Rudra Maha Yagnam was a great success. My
heart-felt thanks to the innumerable valunteers who made it a grand
success.

Namaste,
Savithri