1 does not equal 0.(was, (nibbana) = (Nirguna Brahman) ?)

Prashant Sharma psharma at BUPHY.BU.EDU
Fri Sep 26 13:24:33 CDT 1997

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Harry M. Fleenor wrote:

> Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote,
> >The bottom line is that Vedanta asserts the existence of one ultimate
> >reality and Buddhism asserts the existence of none.  It doesn't take any
> >special knowledge to realize that 1 does not equal 0.
>
> Sankara doesn't put the Ultimate
> into or ideas words such as 1 or 0.
> Both ideas are wrong.
> Ideas or words cannot express That.
> It is not one and not un-one.
> Or It is not zero and not un-zero.

Agreed.

> Is the Quantum field zero or all?
> both are ideas and not the Quantum field itself.

Is there a Quantum Field itself?  I do not think so.  As a practicing
theoretical physicist aware of the way the ideas of field theory have
evolved I do not think that there is anything besides the "idea" here.
I wonder what you mean by saying that there is a quantum field by itself.

> But again these are only conditional expressions
> of the unexpressable.
> The pithy saying "I am That" is not ultimate reality
> only a finger pointing.
> All the arguments fade to nothing
> with the experience of Being.

If there is an experience of this "Being" then surely one can form an idea
to represent that experience.  If realization is just another experience
then what you are saying is to modify "I am That" to "I am That
experience" would be a correct statement. On the other hand the saying "I
am that" is not saying that "I am That thing" (my opinion).
Regards,
Prashant.