The Mimaasaka perspective

Mon Sep 29 01:26:04 CDT 1997

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Jonathan Bricklin wrote:

> My understanding is that the Buddhists that Kumarila had to contend with
> (like many practicing Buddhists today)  based their arguments on perception
> and reason only, without recourse to scriptural authority.  Insofar as the
> Vedas supported their perceptions and their reasonings they would be
> considered valid.

But that isn't good enoough to make it a pramana which is valid in itself.

 If that is true, then the fact that they saw the Vedas
> as products of human beings would not, in itself, render it invalid.  Just
> the opposite in fact.

Again that would not be good enough for the Mimamsaks.  Some astika
schools hold the Vedas are valid because they are written by God.  Even
that was considered unacceptable.

I got engaged! See the pictures ==> http://www.braincells.com/jaldhar/sagpan