New member introduction: shrI Subhanu Saxena

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 12 14:33:26 CDT 1998

Jaldhar wrote:
>I was remarking to Subhanu that it is a duty to study ones own >shakha.
>But whether it is better to study the "wrong" Veda rather than no >Veda
>don't know.  Let's hope we don't need to make such choices.

 You are right. "svAdhyAya" is really the study of one's own Veda.
 But there is nothing wrong in studying other Vedas as well. In fact,
 we often hear of titles and surnames such as "dvivedI", one who knows
 two vedas, "trivedI", one who knows three Vedas, etc.

 The general feeling is that one must study one's own Veda first
 and then the others, if possible. In a way, studying one's own veda
 is mandatory but studying others is not if there are difficulties.
 In these modern days, most of the brahmins that I know of perform
 only the nitya karmas regularly.  Fortunately, these nitya karmas,
 such as sandhyA, are learned according to one's own veda and finding
 a brahmin to teach them is not nearly as hard as finding someone
 who can teach the entire veda.

 To learn a significant portion of a veda is not easy outside India.
 The usual method is that the boy is sent to a pAThashAla to be
 trained in the Vedas or he is trained by the father or by some priest
 that the family knows. While this works well in India, it is hard to
 follow outside India because of the obvious shortage/lack of Vedic
 pAThashAlas and qualified priests. So, I guess, one makes the best
 of the situation by learning whatever is taught. After all, as the
 legend goes, there was only one big Veda before Veda vyAsa, the great
 compiler. He is the one who is credited with dividing the big Veda
 into R^ig, Yajus, sAma, and atharva and entrusting different sages
 with their propagation.

 As an aside, I found from my teacher that there are some Shukla Yajur
 vedins belonging to the kANva shAkhA in Tamil Nadu. So it seems that
 the characterization of shukla/krishna Yajur Veda as being restricted
 to North/South India may not be entirely correct.

 Anand