message to my friends

Saxena, Subhanu Subhanu.Saxena at INTL.PEPSI.COM
Thu Aug 13 01:28:14 CDT 1998

Relating to Vaidya Sundaram's comments on Vyavahaara:

Shankara states "sarvavyahaaraanam eva prak brahmaatmavijnaanaat
satyatwopapattehe"  Up until the dawn of  brahmavidya all vyavahaara's
are real.  So, it is certainly true to talk of "I" and "you"  as being
real.  However, it is important to note that when talking from the
Paramaartha standpoint Shankara certainly does not imply that you vanish
as if without trace. You are not a figment of anyone's imagination
(well, you are for now, as I have never met you!). Upon the dawn of
brahmavidya it is impossible to conceive anything as not Brahman.  The
classic example here is the Sri Rudram mantra, where everywhere the seer
looks, all he can experience is that oneness and says "namaha namaha" .
My perception of "you" changes.  An analogy is the process of
mathematical transformations.  As you will know, a fourier transform
turns a time series into frequency space.  The preceding time series
doesn't magically disappear- it is simply perceived from another
standpoint. Reality remains what it is.  So it is with the vyavahaara
and paramartha points of view.

Regards

Subhanu