message to my friends

Prashant Sharma psharma at BUPHY.BU.EDU
Thu Aug 13 18:12:56 CDT 1998

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, f. maiello wrote:

> Prashant Sharma wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, f. maiello wrote:
> > > [...]...other margas and
> > > sadhanas can get one there just as well, without the
> > > ideas and theories of advaita;
> >
> >         Just how does one know that there is a "there"
> > without advaita vedAnta telling so?
>
> This is only a way of alluding to it from the assessment
> of someone defining themselves as being "not-there."
> And isn't the condition of what "there" may be like also
> postulated by other spiritual philosophies, such as the
> nirvana of the Buddhists, heaven of the Christians,
> devachan or brahmaloka(?) of the Vaishnavas, etc.

        The point I am trying to make is that whatever one thinks about
the "other state" is because, and in terms of, some existing philosophy.
There is no "proof" that there is some other state of being, independent
of what a philosophy defines that to be. It is therefore quite clear that
only one philosophy can get you "there". Some other school of thought will
lend itself to an approach that shall take one somewhere else. So, as long
as we are going places let us ride the same bus. The possibility that we
arrive at the same place is not ruled out, but it is not proven either.

> > > and, secondly, if/when
> > > finally and consciously abiding in the Self, the
> > > sadhu's "experience" therein is likened to a buddhic
> > > "white-out," where all conceptions, theories, and
> > > even ideals are meager and fractional modalities and
> > > involvements, with no more value than pesky insects
> > > in the Garden of Bliss.
> > >
> > > As Buddha said, "Upon reaching the other shore,
> > > why then carry the raft on your back?"
> > >
> >         Why then did Buddha expound a philosophy and thus
> > (in your way of putting it) carry the raft on his back?
> >

> It was his prarabdha to be a teacher.  He was also utterly
> detached from his teaching--which, incidentally, was the
> antithesis of a philosophy or religion.

        Which didn't make the end result any different did it?

> namaste

Prashant.