message to my friends

Greg Goode goode at DPW.COM
Fri Aug 14 17:06:55 CDT 1998

At 03:45 PM 8/14/98 -0400, Prashant Sharma wrote:

>        That is largely true, as you say further on in your mail (some
>excellent stuff, that I have deleted from this posting).
>However, the statement that I was questioning (in Frank Maiello's posting)
>was related to advaita vedAnta being viewed as a strategic philosophy
>that endeavours to take the jIva out of the present state of ajnAna.

Well, I have to agree here!  Almost by definition, advaita vedanta is
probably the only one that can do this, especially when phrased like this.
Not all non-dual philosophies, even those wihtin the broader Hindu
tradition, even talk about the progress of the jIva.  In fact there are
some non-dual teachers (such as Krishna Menon [Sri Atmananda], whom I
respect quite highly) who quoted Shankara a lot, but really never spoke of
the jIva or any form of individual soul or progress at all!  But he
definitely agrees with advaita vedanta about the substratum of everything
else.

[ ... deleted text on the relativity of philosophies that mention various
states ... ]

>Therefore the only strategy that seems
>foolproof is to follow a school of thought completely to wherever it leads
>, while believing that it describes the truth as completely as it claims
>to. The reality that it describes then remains true throughout, what
>changes is the doubting nature of the mind.

I agree on following a school of thought to its conclusion, and I think
Frank would too.  After all, the Finality (not meant as a state but as the
metaphysical Reality) is that which the various schools of thought talk
about.

--Greg