Not Gaudapada, but Buddha!

Govind Rengarajan govind at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Tue Feb 10 22:40:29 CST 1998

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Vidyasankar Sundaresan wrote:

> assumption that the followers of each tradition somehow misunderstood and
> modified the basic teachings, although the "original" teachers of every
> tradition taught the same things. It is intellectually very arrogant, to
> assume that those who transmit the various traditions do not understand it
> well themselves.

Excellent point. Since Vidyasankar has decided to remain silent on
this issue, I shall pitch in my thoughts.

I think there is a general tendency among the new wave of
spiritualists and scholars to consider the followers of the
"original" teachers of any religion to have a single-minded purpose
of refuting other doctrines or philosophies while the "original"
teacher himself might not have said so. This attitude is clearly
insulting (ofcourse often not intended) to the later teachers and
AcAryAs of any tradition. It is important to keep in mind that
having dedicated their life to study and practice of a particular
system, they are in a better position to state the *intended*
(particularly when the "original" teacher did not write anything)
teachings of their "original" teacher. In order to be able to
understand their motivations and teachings, it is necessary to learn
from them. Until such time, second guessing the Buddha's or
any of the original teachers' thoughts will only create another
system of thought.

Also, this drive to seek unity in all of world's religions is
perhaps unnecessary! Or is it necessary to gain more conviction in
the existence of the "truth"? An alternative, which has been
in existence for millenniums (until this century ;-), is to follow
your teacher, or to find a teacher. It is as simple as that!

Regards,
govindarajan