Theory of Re-birth

Gregory Goode goode at DPW.COM
Mon Feb 16 02:40:18 CST 1998

> This quote comes from Sri Ramana Maharshi=92s  Who Am I? - Nan Yar?, ques=
> tion
> 22:
>
> 22. Is there no difference between waking and dream?
>
> Waking is long and a dream short; other than this there is no difference.
> Just as waking happenings seem real while awake. so do those in a dream
> while dreaming. In dream the mind takes on another body. In both waking a=
> nd
> dream states thoughts. Names and forms occur simultaneously.

> Thanks!  Here's another quote along the same lines from RM:
in _TALKS_With_Ramana_Maharshi_, page 469.  A devotee asks the
difference, saying that there is more continuity in waking than in
dream.  Ramana says:

  "You go to sleep and dream a dream in which the experiences
   of fifty years are condensed within the short duration
   of the dream, say five minutes.  There is also a continuity
   in the dream.  Which is real now?  Is the period covering
   fifty years of your waking state real or the short duration
   of five minutes of your dream?  The standards of time differ
   in the two states.  That is all.  There is no other difference
   between the experiences."

--Greg