Skanda Purana

Vaidya N. Sundaram sundaram at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Wed Feb 18 14:00:15 CST 1998

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Raghavendra Hebbalalu wrote:

> The Skanda purAna is known both as SkAnda and Skanda. I just checked the
> introduction to a translation of that purAna.

Namaste:
 I have heard a discourse of Sri Anantharama Dikshidhar where he says that
skAndam is not necessarily one text, but a series of texts, each written
^^^^^^^
probably by several people whose main theme is the discussion of mythology in
Vedanga sutras, and specifically debating the reason for some obviously
unreligious things/entities to be considered, infact, very holy.

 Skanda purana on the other hand is considered to be one Puranam.

Cheers,
Vaidya.

> On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Raghavendra Hebbalalu wrote:
> >
> > > Namaste,
> > >         AFAIK the Purana is not named Skanda PurAna but SkAnda purana.
> > > Raghavendra.
> > >

> > No actually it is skanda (hrasva a).
> >
> > --
> > Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com>