Life and Soul \ Brahman

Gregory Goode goode at DPW.COM
Thu Feb 19 09:45:48 CST 1998

At 01:34 PM 2/18/98 -0500, MANTRALAURA at DELPHI.COM wrote:

>  Note: Later in this upaniShad, "aananda" is used
>instead of "anaantaM" as being "Bliss". Swaami
>Dayaananda explains that this Bliss is in the
>nature of limitlessness or fullness. Therefore,
>the equivalent of "satyaM j~naanam-anaantaM" is
>(the nature of Brahman being) - sat (existence,
>limitlessness), chit (awareness, consciousness,
>knowledge), aananda (bliss, fullness, known content).

Swami Chinmayananda also speaks of these three (satyaM j~naanam-anaantaM)
as "non-qualifying attributes" of Brahman.  Each one is a way of explaining
how Brahman is not limited.

    satyaM - unlimited by non-being or causality
    j~naanam - unlimited by avidya or Maya or space
    anaantaM - unlimited by mental modifications or vrittis

--Greg