naaraayaNa gaayatrii

MANTRALAURA at DELPHI.COM MANTRALAURA at DELPHI.COM
Fri Feb 20 00:31:10 CST 1998

namaskaaraM Ravi,

  Gaayatrii metres have 24 syllables - 3 lines
of 8 syllables each. What I have found to be
called the "viShNu gaayatrii" is written
as follows:

  naaraayaNaaya vidmahe
  vaasudevaaya dhiimahi
  tanno viShNuH prachodayaat |

  "We know naaraayaNa;
   we meditate on vaasudeva;
   may viShNu inspire that (knowledge
     and meditation) of ours."

  The above translation is one that I found
in the book entitled, "gaayatrii" by I.K.
Taimni. However, the following are meanings
for the words:

naaraayaNaaya = to be or act like naaraayaNa
vidmahe = vid (to wish to know, to know, to
  understand, to learn, to be conscious of)
  + mahe (honor, revere, exalt, rejoice)
vaasudevaaya = to be or act like vaasudeva
dhiimahi = meditation, religious thought
tanno = that of ours
viShNuH = (used a subject)
prachodayaat = to inspire, to request, to
  make known

  We honor and know naaraayaNa;
  Our meditation is on vaasudeva;
  May viShNu inspire our knowledge and
    meditation.

  Please let me know if this interpretation of
the mantra is acceptable.

OM shaantiH, shaantiH, shaantiH

dhanyavaadaH,
  Mantralaura