Bhagavad kr^pa (grace of God)

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Thu Jan 8 06:24:38 CST 1998

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, sadananda wrote:

> [...]

> There is no difference in what we both are saying.  What is in our control
> is our human effort.  The grace will come automatically for those that
> deserve.
>
> Contemplation or Meditation as means is also action at mental level. There
> is an inquiry involved for knowledge to take place. It is not negating the
> mind.  It is using the mind to go beyond the mind like a pole walt.  Who I
> am or what is the souce of contents of the thougts or even jagat involves
> an intense inquiry by a prepared mind ( pure mind). Meditation involves
> meditator, meditated and meditating.  By meditation one goes beyond
> meditation - that happens by grace.
>
> Hence human effort is upto the end and one goes beyond the begining and end
> by grace. Ultimately one can declare as Bhagavan Dattatreya says in
> Avadhuuta Gita
>         aham dhyaataa param dhyeyam akhandam khadate katham|
> I am the meditator and meditating on the supreme - how can one divide the
> indivisible?
> Hari Om!
> Sadananda

Namaste.

I agree. There is no difference in what we both are saying (and Shri Ram
Chandran). Divine grace would show up on us in the form of proper mental
frame of the human and the proper action taken by the human. Except, the
human is to recognize that this action of the human (either mental or
physical) is by the divine grace only and not because of the human's
viveka. When we do japa, we pray the Saguna Brahman to provide us the
proper purushhArtha [mama chaturvitha phala purushhArtha siththasye jape
viniyogah: Lalitha trisathi dhyAnam, similarly in Vishnu sahasranAma, the
two japas I am familiar with]. The same is alluded by Shri Ram Chandran in
his post also.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
... aham bhAvodayAbhAvo bodhasya paramAvadhih ...
                        Shri Shankara in Viveka ChuDAmaNi (verse 424)

The end of the rise of the sense of "I" of the ego is the culmination
of knowledge.