Information request - References to Indian Astronomy

Vaidya N. Sundaram sundaram at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Thu Jan 22 13:35:22 CST 1998

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, sadananda wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> This post may not be relavent directly to advaita or to the current topics
>
> A friend of mine is seeking information about the chronology of the Indian
> thought developement of the Astronomy including the mapping of the stars
> and establishment of time scales etc.  Any authentic references related to
> these are welcome.  Particularly when and in what form the Indian thought
> development of the astronomy occurred and in what form it was documented -
> either in Vedas or Vedangaas and/.or subsequent tests with possible dates
> and references.
>
> Any help in this? Thanks - please reply to my e-mail address.
>
> Hari Om!
> Sadananda

Namaste:

 There is a book by Krishnamurthy, J (former Dy. Director of Birla Institute
of Technology and Science, Pilani, India) called " Clock in the Night Sky".
This book is basically about the systems of telling the time of the night
just by looking at the arrangement of the stars. But it is also a good
introduction to general astronomy and also contains quite a few Sanskrit
Quotes from various sources. I have not seen the book anywhere in the U.S
though. I am sure that it will be available in India.

Cheers,
Vaidya.