pUja

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram msr at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Thu Jul 2 16:42:32 CDT 1998

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Vaidya N. Sundaram wrote:
>  At our elementary level, the prayaschittam goes like: mantra hiinam
> kriyaa hiinam bhakti hiinam hudhAsana | etc etc.
>  hiinam is a misdoing, mistake. This mistake is accepted, and one
> surrenders to Him to forgive it.

In the case of experts, despite the care one takes there will be errors.
Hence it is necessary do prayashchittam. In the case of novices like me
there will few correct steps here and there, and the rest is just filled
with errore ;-).  If the worship is done with the humility. "O Divine
Mother, I am your child, I desire to express my love by worshipping you, I
do not know anything. Please forgive all the mistakes I make and accept my
love", SHE will understand it. SHE is more compassionate and sweeter than
mothers of this world. Even Lord Shiva who is feared for his anger, is
expressed as a compassionate lord by shaivite saints (thAyinum iniyan : He
is sweeter than mother, chEyinum nallan: even if you estrange yourself he
will be kind to you).

There is a detailed description of pUjA for different deities at
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/8891/
It will take two hours to do as described in the page (atleast to start
with).

> bhakti), but just because one or more is lacking, do not neglect it. In
> fact, worship by a specific puja is considered as waking up the sleeping
> tiger. Once you accept the responsibility to do the puja, say for example,
> the panchayatana puja, forsaking it even for a day is neglecting it. It is
> more important to keep the discipline up than give it up because of
> concerns of not being able to do it right. If every body started thinking
> that they will do it once they know it WELL, then there will be no
> yajnyams at all!!

One has to start somewhere. The major problem with many these days is , we
have estranged ourself from our tradition and our teachers. We learn many
things from printed texts. This is I think is the source of many problems.
But despite all our mistakes, SHE is very compassionate. If you take one
step towards HER, SHE takes 100 steps towards you. HER grace is the only
support.

But you really scare me :-) with the tiger example!! I was asking guidance
from a person for doing a particular pUjA correctly. During our
correspondence he told me that worshipping God is very attractive and more
joyful, as day goes by you will hate to miss it even for a day. I getting
a glimpse of the truth behind his statement.

May shrImAta guide us all to do the right thing we should do.

With respects,
Ravi