Please Help her (fwd)

Deven Shah deven at Glue.umd.edu
Thu Jul 9 08:56:32 CDT 1998

--------------D2163318A323150E1AFAC73E--

--------------5913E3A4D6E--

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 22:22:34 -0400
To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian <ramakris at EROLS.COM>
Subject: Re: pUja
Comments: To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>

Vaidya N. Sundaram wrote:

> > The above is quite irrelevant in my opinion.
>
>  I fail to see their lack of relevance. Surely you do not assume that you
> know how important it is to purify your place of worship and so make do
> with just a sweep of your vacuum cleaner, or even just mopping with a wet
> cloth.
>  For as the example I quoted makes it abundantly clear that proper
> cleaning of the place of worship is of supreme relevance. And the Ramayana
> also explains how it is that a place of worship is to be purified.
>  Surely you do not assume that milk from out a carton is the same as
> Go-ksheram (pasu-m paal in Tamil).

Then clean the place before worshiping there! It's that simple!! It's
rather obvious, IMO. How does that contradict what I said about
following rules? If you did not know about the rule, it's your fault and
not the persons who discovered/established the rules.

>  Kindly explain to me how they become irrelevant. I am willing to learn.

Pl. see above.

>  On the contrary, performance of a karma, has implicit in it, an effort.
> Laziness is not the point here. Effort to perform has already been made.
> And performing means, you know something of how it is to be performed. Do
> you start? or do you wait till you are sure?

Yes, one should make the effort of going to a pundit, reading a few
books and making sure before doing pUjA-s. Please read my post before
engaging in tarka. I CLEARLY mentioned that when the person already
KNOWS that 100% effort has NOT been made, ignorance is no excuse. If you
truly feel you have made 100% effort already, go ahead!

>  Again, as an example, when you first learnt how to do write a computer
> program, did you wait till you learnt all of the syntax, of C for ex., or
> did you start? Did you write some software, and build on it, or do you go
> for the end?  A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step.
>  I do not say, just do what you can and make up for what you dont know by
> saying 'Jeez, I'm sorry!!'. Do it. Then do it with greater rigour.

Did you go to the computer room when you were 5 years old and start
breaking the things there? When you entered the room you had the common
sense not to break things there didn't you? Similarly, if you are not
qualified enough to do proper pUjA, stick to what you can do. Apart from
this this example is not entirely a good analogy. This is because
smR^iti clearly says wrong performance = bad results. This is not so in
the case of a "Hello, world" program not compiling. If you choose to
disagree with smR^iti, feel free to do it. I don't care.

>  When you first learnt the Rudram for example, did you always say it
> right? Or did you keep repeating it, and correcting yourself as mistakes
> are made obvious?

smR^iti and traditional practice allows for mistakes in pronunciation
etc while LEARNING it. That's why a guru is there top correct you at
once.

>  It is plain to me that the point in contention is: Do I do it right or
> not at all OR Do it. Are you doing it right ? If not, correct yourself,
> but continue to do it. Go to step one.

I clearly mentioned that it depends on the type of karma. Did you read
my previous posts at all or not? In case of sandhya etc you HAVE to do
it even if imperfectly. In things like shrI chakra pUjA etc you HAVE to
follow the rules.

>  Let me give another case here, albeit a very real one.
>  As a Brahmachari, I have to do the SamidhadhAnam. No questions. And, I
> have been taught a certain set of rules. One of them is, i have to pick my
> own samith (the twig). Another second level rule: the samith should be the
> length of anywhere from the length of my index finger to the length of my
> index finger plus the length of my thumb. Next, the samith should not have
> any forks etc etc.
>  Another first level rule, I must not blow at the Agni. I must use a
> tharbai (grass) to blow at Agni. Next, the samith should be placed east -
> west etc. etc.
>
>  All this is fine. But where do I go for samith in this country, and how
> am I supposed to light a fire in my house without setting the fire and
> smoke alarms off!!!! What is the approximation here? Is an approximation
> allowed in the first place? You must agree with me that performance of
> SamidhaDhanam is as much a nitya karma as the Gayatri. Now what do I do?
> Blissfully do it with certain approximations, or not do it?

You don't seem to understand or even read what I wrote. Again, in case
of nitya karma-s not doing it is WORSE than doing it improperly. Read
this sentence carefully and figure out the rest.

>  So you see, my point is never that it is ok if rules are not followed.
> There is no laziness to learn the rules. There is no absence of effort.
> What would you do in such a case? (I believe you are a Brahmachari too.
> *-) What is that you infact do?)

First read my previous posts carefully. And what bussiness is it of
yours what I do? I never say what my spiritual practices, except perhaps
people who I consider very close to me. Why, do you plan to take me on
as a guru? :-)

As I said, go ask the people I mentioned, my question. I am betting $500
(raing the stakes) that they'll disagree with your ideas.

Rama.