100. hrIMshaririNI

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram msr at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Sat Jul 18 18:04:44 CDT 1998

100. hrIMshaririNI

SHE who has hrIm.h has her body. SHE is the soul of the mUlamantra. Hence,
hrIm.h is HER body of form.

AUM hrIMshaririNyai namaH

--
I will post the summary of  names 81-100 in few days.

>From  Sun Jul 19 13:33:37 1998
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 13:33:37 -0400
To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian <ramakris at EROLS.COM>
Subject: Karma and Sanyasa
Comments: To: Advaita-L <advaita-l at tamu.edu>

Abbreviations:

Up. - Upanishhad-s
Sm. - sMR^iti
Sr. - shruti

This post will summarize my understanding of karma and sanyAsa. I am
also concerned about how karma is being devalued (implicitly) by many in
this list. IMO, miunderstanding karma and Sanyasa is very serious. So,
please understand that my statements are from such a concern. People who
are offended by any and everything would do well by deleting this mail
at once without reading it.

Who can give up Karma?
-----------------------

Suresvaracarya is very emphatic that one who dons the Sanyasi's robes
alone can give up Karma in his bR^ihadAraNyaka Up. bhAshhya vArttika. I
don't have the text with me, but I know it's there. Perhaps Jaldhar can
help me here. See also the VivekachuDAmaNi where shankaracArya clearly
says the person desiring relase should give up action mentally AND
physically. Again I don't have this text, someone please quote this for
me. In the upadeshasAhasrI when shankaracArya talks about how a disciple
should be, he clearly mentions that he shouyld be a paramahamsa
parivrAjaka.

ShankaracArya's tradition, right from suershvarAchArya have emphasized
phycical renunciation _also_. Why?

I see many in the list claiming karma is not of much use and one can do
it however one pleases along with mental renunciation. I ask these
proponents of "mental renunciation":

How is it that
1. a fat paycheck is pocketed each month, but mentally renounced?
2. one lives in a house, but that is mentally renounced?
3. The car with AC is also mentally renounced?
4. The wife is present, but mentally renounced?
5. performances by ones own children, dance song etc are attended, but
mentally renounced?

BUT

when it comes to prescribed karma it is both mentally AND physcically
renounced. Why is it that I cannot find a SINGLE person in this list
among the proponents of "mental renunciation" who:

1. do prescribed karmas and mentally renounce it? or
2. also physically renounce wife, AC car etc.

Why is it that when ones physical comforts are concerned things are only
mentally renounced, but when one has to go through the trouble of doing
karma properly it is also physically renounced.