Om TatpadalakshyArthAyai namah

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram msr at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Thu Jun 18 09:12:14 CDT 1998

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Vaidya N. Sundaram wrote:

> I believe Sri Chandrasekara Bharati, former pontiff of Sringeri madam
> once lapsed in samadhi during the archana of Sri Sarada at Sringeri. The
> nama he stopped at was Om TatpadalakshyArthAyai namah. After coming out
> of it, he reported exclaimed: advaitam stayam. advaitam satyam.
>  Can any knowledgable member write the meaning of this particular nAma of
> Sri Sarada.

namaskAram

This name is one of the names in shrI lalitAsahsranAmam. It is the 363
nAmam of shrImAtA. Through the name "tatpadalakShyArthA" sahasranAmam
worships HER as nirguNa brahman. The term "tat" by itself (in tattvamasi)
means the conditioned brahman or saguNa brahman. But through the function
of speech called lakShaNa it denotes the nirguNa brahman.  The name
literally means, "the meaning of the term tat through lakShana" . Hence
SHE is celebrated here as the nirguNa brahman.

Please refer to the names lakShyArthA and lakShanAgamyA of the trishatI
which I posted recently.

Ravi