Almanac Questions:

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram msr at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Mon Jun 22 17:57:33 CDT 1998

 Which one is vedic, sUrymAna or chandramAna? When I went to Houston
temple this time, they referred the dates by both systems, like rishaba
mAsam and jyeShTa mAsam. Even the panchangam I have gives both.  I request
knowledgeable list members to clarify this doubt.  I think Tamil brahmans
follow the sUryamAna and telugu brahmans follow chandramana.  Also not
always the months in chandramAna begins on prathama of suklapakSham, for
this they have an additional adjective shuddha.

Thank you.

With respects
Ravi
AUM shrI shankarAcharyavaryAya namaH