vivekachUdAmani

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram msr at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Tue Jun 30 15:48:46 CDT 1998

namaskAram

I thank Vaidya for posting this wonderful bhAShyam. This clarifies these
verses so very well. Verse 11 is one of my favorite verses. But only now I
understand it correctly.

As a side note:

In the case of jIvanamuktAs, there is no need to do  any formal worship.
They need not observe any karmAnushTanam and puja. Whatever they do is by
itself a great and perfect worship.

This is very beautifully explained in the 27th verse "japo jalpaH .."
verse of saundaryalaharI. In this verse shankara explains different types
of aikya anusandAnanam-s jIvanamuktAs do so effortlessly.

In the state of jIvana mukti,
1) whatever one talks is nAma japam
2) All their limb movements are mudras
3) Whenever they walk it pradikShanam
4) Their lying on the ground is like namaskAram
5) Whatever they eat is naivedyam and it is also like
performing yaj~nAs
6) All the above 5 aikya anusandAnams are because of their jIvana mukti
state where they have realized the aikyam of Atman and brahman.

It is so beautiful. For the rest like us, this shloka becomes a prayer
asking parameshvarI to accept all our acts on everyday life as HER
worship.

Ravi

(*) There is a wonderful commentary on saundarya laharI in Tamil published
by Giri press, Madras. It is by one thedhiyUr Subrahmanya shAstrigal.
I think this was recently translated to English. This book gives a very
detailed commentary explaining so many intricate details of
shrIvidyopAsana and also gives word by word meaning to original sanskrit
verse.