vivekachUdAmani.

Vaidya N. Sundaram sundaram at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Tue Jun 30 18:32:35 CDT 1998

12)
 samyagvichaarataH siddhaa rajjutattvaavadhaaraNaa .
 bhraantoditamahaasarpabhayaduHkhavinaashinii

 By proper reasoning, the conviction about the reality of the rope is
gained. This puts an end to the great fear and misery caused by the
serpent which arose by delusion.

 It is well known that a man filled with fear due to his thinking that the
rope which he asw in the tilight was a serpent, gets rid of the fear and
the tremblimg when he understands the truth about the object by proper
examination by the light of the lamp. The serpent that arose in the rope
due to delusion, the grief (and fear) caused by such mis apprehension,
both these are destroyed by proper examination. That is called
rajjutattvAvadrtih, the conviction of the truth about the rope. In the
same way samyagvicAra is applied to the destruction of the grief of
repeated birth and death which is samsAra, produced by delusion. Such
samyagvicAra has for its effect the conviction about the truth of the
Atman which is the nature of the direct realisation of Brahman. Thus the
analogy of rope-serpent-delusion is fulfilled in every respect.

                      Vaidya N. Sundaram
 Kandavar Vindilar      : Those who have seen (Brahman) have not spoken
  Vindavar Kandilar     :   those who speak (about It) have not seen (It)
    satyakAma, satyasaMkalpa, Apatsakha, kAkutsa, shrIman nArAyaNa
        puruShottaMa, shrI ranganAtha, mama nAtha, namostute.