Yoga Vasishta

Chandran, Nanda (NBC) Nanda.Chandran at NBC.COM
Wed Mar 18 13:46:50 CST 1998

Can somebody give me some background on this text? From Swami
Vishwarupananda's postings I can make out that the dialogues are between
Lord Rama and Sage Vasishta. So is it a part of Ramayana, like the Gita
is a part of the Mahabharatha? If so, Is it considered a Smriti?

Also, can someone suggest a good English translation of the text?

Another question : Is the Janaka whom we constantly refer to as a jnani
though a householder and Sita's father in Ramayana the same person?

        Because e-mail can be altered electronically,
        the integrity of this communication cannot be guaranteed.