New Member Introduction: Dr. John Grimes

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon May 4 09:34:44 CDT 1998

>Namaskar and svaagatam!
>Ravi,
>   My name is John Grimes and I am currently teaching Hinduism and
Buddhism
>at Michigan State University. I received my BA in Religious Studies at
the
>University of California at Santa Barbara (under Professor Raimundo
>Panikkar) and my MA and PhD at the Radhakrishnan Institute for Advanced
>Study, University of Madras. My specialization is Advaita Vedanta,
>especially Suresvara. I am the author of Ganapati: Song of the Self; A
>Concise Dictionary of Indian Philosophy; and Problems and Perspectives
in
>Religious Language: Advaita Vedanta Implications (all by SUNY Press). I
am
>also the author of Naiskarmyasiddhi (Satguru Press); The Seven Great
>Untenables (Saptavidhanupapatti) (Motilal Banarsidass); An Advaita
Vedanta
>Perspective on Language (Satguru Press); and Quest for Certainty: A
>Comparative STudy of Heidegger and Shankara (Lang Press).
>I have virtually completed a translation with notes of the
Vivekacudamani.
>As one of my professors, R. Balasubramanian said when I arrived in
Madras,
>"John came to us with his jijnasa already firmly established and has
never
>wavered therefrom". Thank you, thank you, for the Advaita-L list and
for
>accepting me to participate therein.
>Your own Self,
>John

 Let us heartily welcome Dr. Grimes to this list! We will surely
 benefit from the participation of such distinguished scholars. I
 have read the book on Ganapati by him and would like to congratulate
 him for an excellently written book that introduces the many aspects
 of Ganesha to the English speaking people of the world.

 I also look forward to discussions on his other works, especially
 those on the naiShkarmya-siddhi and the vivekachUDAmaNi, and
 of course, his scholarly participation in the discussions on many
 other topics that have been and will be discussed here.

 I feel the list is indeed fortunate to have subscribers like
 Dr. Grimes.

 AUM mahAgaNapataye namaH

 Anand

 PS: The archives of the list may be found at

 http://listserv.tamu.edu/archives/advaita-l.html

 This also has a nice search engine.