Sadhana

Wed May 6 12:29:00 CDT 1998

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Parisi & Watson wrote:

> I tried to make clear from the beginning that I cannot approach Vedanta
> with the attitude that "This is The Truth... how can I best understand
> it?" And what's more, I don't think such an approach is even desirable,
> at least for me. My primary commitment is and has to be to a careful and
> painstaking search for the truth, wherever that search may lead. It has
> led me to Vedanta, but it could also lead me away from it again. In the
> West, and particularly in the US, we have all too many people who have
> put their commitment to doctrine above honesty and integrity, and the
> distressing results are plain for the whole world to see. I must avoid
> at all costs falling into a more sophisticated and educated version of
> the same stance.

Vedanta is a system based on textual exegesis not experience so in that
way it is not any different from the scholasticism of Christianity,
Judaism, or Islam.   I don't think that's a bad thing but there is no
reason to think it couldn't  have been used or misused.  Indians are no
beter or worse than anyone else.