ShrI-nR^isiMha jayantI (5/9/1998)

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 8 17:29:28 CDT 1998

 Tomorrow (5/8/1998), VaishAkha-shukla-chaturdashI, marks the day
 when Lord ViShNu appeared as the nR^isimha (half-man half-lion)
 incarnation.

 The day when the Bhagavan nR^isimha's jayantI is to be celebrated
 is stated as follows, in the nR^isimha purANa:

  vaishAkhe shukla-paxe tu chaturdashyAM nishAmukhe |
  majjanmasaMbhavaM puNyaM vrataM pApapraNAshanaM   |
  varShe varShe tu kartavyaM mama santuShTikAraNaM  ||

  (shrI-nR^isimha said:) One should observe My appearance on the
  14th tithi (lunar day) of the bright half of the lunar month of
  vaishAkha, during the beginning of the night (evening twilight).
  This meritorious observance destroys all sin, and should be done
  every year for My pleasure.

  This year, the chaturdashI tithi extends from about 5:15 AM Eastern
  Daylight Time (EDT), Saturday the 9th to about 7:30 AM EDT, Sunday
  the 10th. Therefore, during the twilight period (technically the
  pradoSha period) of the 9th, the chaturdashI (14th tithi) prevails.
  The 9th should then be celebrated as shrI-nR^isimha jayantI in
  North America.

  One more factor this year is that the svAtI-naxatra, which was
 prevalent when nR^isimha appeared from the pillar, also prevails
 from about 6:15 PM EDT on the 9th and extends throughout the night.

 Shankara has composed a most beautiful hymn called the lakShmI-
 nR^isimha-karAvalaMbaM.

     andhasya me hR^itavivekamahaadhanasya
   choraiH prabho balibhirindriyanaamadheyaiH |
   mohaandhakuupakuhare vinipaatitasya
   lakshhmInR^isiMha mama dehi karAvalambam.h  || 11 ||

   O Lord!  My great wealth called power of discrimination (viveka)
   has been  stolen away by the powerful thieves called senses.
   I am blind (without the power of discrimination between things
   eternal and noneternal). In this condition, I have been pushed into
   the dark well called delusion. O Lakshminrsimha, provide me the
   support of Your hands.
                          (lakShmI-nR^isimha-karAvalaMbaM)

 Shankara has composed a most beautiful hymn called the lakShmI-
 nR^isimha-karAvalaMbaM.  I had translated this hymn sometime back on
 the vaishnava newsgroup. Some verses of the hymn were posted on
 this list last year. Please see:

http://listserv.tamu.edu/cgi/wa?A2=ind9705C&L=advaita-l&D=&H=&T=&O=&F=&P=2885

 Anand