Qualifications for studying vedanta

Vivek Anand Ganesan v_ganesan at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 15 16:31:57 CDT 1998

NamashkAr,

   Subsequent to the discussion on MokshAdhikAram, I would like to
know the meaning and explanation for the four-fold qualifications for
studying vedanta.

Thanks,

-Vivek.

>From  Fri May 15 19:29:41 1998
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 19:29:41 -0400
To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian <ramakris at EROLS.COM>
Subject: Re: Questions
Comments: To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>

Sankaran Jayanarayanan wrote:

> And there are rules about learning the Upanishads *only* by oral
> instruction (hence the name "shruti," that which is heard). I myself
> have observed several members quoting vedic mantras directly from books.
> In this light, I don't think it necessary to place the restriction on
> the BSB (on this list), though I fully believe it to be true.

The restriction is not because of the shruti passages being quoted in
the BSB. Such passages can be found in prakaraNa grantha-s also. The
advaita teachers (who practice advaita) in the line of shrI sha.nkara
say thus. I quoted shrI mahAsannidhAnam. I know you are a follower of
the Sringeri Mutt, that should mean something to you. Anyone can follow
his advice or go against it, that's their wish. IMHO, words of such
teachers should be listened to carefully. BTW, this list has not
descended from heaven or sprung up from the earth :-). In fact, as
followers of advaita we should take his words more seriously than other
people. My choice has been to follow his advice.

I think there is some misunderstanding about the stuff on
Descartes-advaita I said. I'll mail you personally later.

Rama.