VairAgyam

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Fri May 29 10:07:14 CDT 1998

Namaste.

Questions were raised recently on this thread re pujAs, homAs, bhakti,
desire etc by Shri Vivek ganesan, Nanda Chandran, Chelluri Nageswar Rao.
My understanding is the following, which I might have stated in other
threads earlier.

There is no conflict. In the early stages of meditation, mumukshutvam,
that burning desire for liberation (of the entity that is doing the
meditation) takes over all the other desires. As the jeevA's meditation
becomes more focused, the connection between the entity that is doing
the meditation and the body/mind becomes loose; and the entity doing the
meditation sees closeness and oneness with Brahman (that is on which
the entity is meditating). In that scenario, the desire for moksha also
falls out, and perfect peace prevails. Moksha is not one what we get
after death or after discarding this body; moksha is right here and now.
When that stage is reached, where are the desires ? You will notice
that there is no burning desire for moksha anymore; in fact there will
be no desire. Thus, the Katha upanishad verse, which I quote often and
which Shri Nanda Chandran also quoted, refers to the desire for moksha
as well.

The homAs and the pUjAs (which are part of Vivek's original post) are
for a different purpose, as I see it. The vedas and puranas suggest
various vratAs . The aim of these is to reach various puNya lokAs
and santhi vratAs are suggested for prosperity in this life. But none
of these are for moksha. The upanishads say clearly (I can find the
reference if required as I was reading and thinking about it only a
few weeks ago) that the vratas are suggested for jeevas who want to
pursue that route. As I understand, that route would not end up in
moksha; in prosperity, yes, but not moksha.

------

I want to comment on the topic of adhikAra which was also a discussion
topic recently. It was mentioned in that thread that various smritis,
yoga vashishhTa and puranas are available for those who are proscribed
from studying the vedas and the same knowledge and information is
contained in them.

I beg to differ from that view. Shri Shankara stated clearly in one of
the bhAshhyAs that the knowledge and information in the vedas is not
contained in any other source. Vedas are unique in containg the unique
knowledge. There is no substitute for studying the vedas. Here again,
I can bring up the reference if required, although it may take a bit
longer.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.