153. kAruNya vigrahA

Ravisankar Mayavaram msr at ISC.TAMU.EDU
Sun Nov 1 11:37:04 CST 1998

153. kAruNya vigrahA

SHE whose form is kindness.

karuNa or Compaasion is an attitude of mind. It is expressed
through benign glance, etc. The consequences of the compassion,
such as, granting the desired objects etc., are expressed by
various parts of HER body. Hence, it is proper to call HER as
embodiment of compassion

SHE as brahman is sat-chit-Ananda and indpendent of any act.  But
the through the limitation of mAyA, brahman becomes the efficient
of cause of the jagat (Universe). In that limitation, SHE assumes
a form to grace HER devotees.  If SHE did not take a form, it is
not possible for the mind to imagine the deity, and all worship
with attributes will become an impossibility.  As it is
established by the brahma sUtra "devatAdhikaraNa", where there is
no contradiction, deities illumined by mantra can take different
forms or images. This further supported by authoritative
statments in shruti like "vajra hastaH purandara", which means
"Indra has diamond in his hand" It is mentioned in
devatAdhikaraNa that deities like Indra can assume any form they
like. When the sage medhAtithi called Indra a goat, He assumed
the form of goat and killed medhAtithi.

In kenopaniShad, paradevatA is called haimavati. And it is
established in the commentary of kenopaniShad, paradevatA has a
divine image, "that haimavatI means one having ornaments of Gold
and that SHE is the duaghter of himavAn". Hence, it is explained
that the great ones, the trimurti-s, who are the forms of
Self-luminous awareness, are embodied only to facilitate
meditation, worship, etc. SHE is their ruler. Hence, there is no
ground for atheistic arguments like there is no Ishvara.

AUM kAruNyavigrahAyai namaH